VMWare image for running/developing Django
Joseph Heck
2006-08-01 16:40:40 UTC
I was fiddling with a VMWare image for running and developing Django with
the intention of posted the results up for anyone to use, and I got myself
tied all in knots. So let me ask the community: what would be the most
useful:

1) a light VMWare image (couple hundred Mb) that was completely command-line
and had the basic components (Django, Python, sqlite3) set up so that anyone
could quick run a dev instance

or

2) a fuller linux image (600Mb+) that had a GUI and perhaps some development
tools (SPE, Vim, Emacs, etc) in addition to the basic components.

or something yet further afield?

-joe

Jacob Kaplan-Moss
2006-08-01 16:57:28 UTC
Post by Joseph Heck
I was fiddling with a VMWare image for running and developing
Django with
the intention of posted the results up for anyone to use, and I got myself
tied all in knots. So let me ask the community: what would be the most
1) a light VMWare image (couple hundred Mb) that was completely command-line
and had the basic components (Django, Python, sqlite3) set up so that anyone
could quick run a dev instance
or
2) a fuller linux image (600Mb+) that had a GUI and perhaps some development
tools (SPE, Vim, Emacs, etc) in addition to the basic components.
or something yet further afield?
Personally, if I'm going to download a few hundred megs, it might as
well be 600... I also think that if someone's wanting to fool with
Django they're also going to want to play with what a real
development environment might feel like. So, yes to editors.

Oh, and if it's not too difficult, you might even think about
including MySQL and Postgres alongside sqlite (for pretty much the
same reasons).

BTW, if bandwidth is a problem, I'd happily host the image on my
servers; I've got a stupidly large amount of bandwidth and a torrent
tracker ready to go.

I'm really looking forward to playing with this!

Jacob

Jay Parlar
2006-08-01 18:19:57 UTC
I agree with Jacob, full image (with MySQL and PostgreSQL as well).

This is actually the setup I used at a contract gig. I had a VMWare
image setup and configured for doing both development and deployment.
So after I leave, if anyone needs to make modifications, then can just
run the VM image on their own machine, fix things, and redeploy. It's
worked very nicely so far.

We had a Gentoo image running X and fluxbox, that compressed down to
about 700 megs (using VMWare's 'shrink', and standard zip).

Maybe CDs of a Django development environment could be given out at conferences!

Jay P.

Joseph Heck
2006-08-01 23:39:29 UTC
Well, the baseline image that I've just knocked together (desktop, full
servers, etc) is running in the 3Gb file range (uncompressed...)

I'm building it with VMWare Server - I don't see an option for shrinking the
VM image. I was planning on Zipping it to see what compression I could get -
but it's pretty darn hefty...

I may make two images at this rate - the full blown gig and a command-line
only version.

-joe
Jay Parlar
2006-08-02 00:45:46 UTC
Post by Joseph Heck
Well, the baseline image that I've just knocked together (desktop, full
servers, etc) is running in the 3Gb file range (uncompressed...)
I'm building it with VMWare Server - I don't see an option for shrinking the
VM image. I was planning on Zipping it to see what compression I could get -
but it's pretty darn hefty...
I may make two images at this rate - the full blown gig and a command-line
only version.
I've only ever used it from the VMPlayer. From a VNC session into the
player, I would type "vmware-toolbox" (or something like that), and a
little GTK app would pop up, and give me the option to shrink.

I'll try to get more details tomorrow when I'm at work, where I have
it documented.

I was able to get a 3 gig uncompressed image down to ~1.5 gigs after
the shrink, and ~700MB after the zip.

Jay P.

2006-08-02 08:20:35 UTC
Please post a link when you get the image online, I would love to give
it a spin.

/mac

Matthijs
2006-08-02 19:32:51 UTC
Personally I use a custom uniform server
(http://sourceforge.net/projects/miniserver) which is basically a
zip-file that you unpack on your Win32 windows system, and you're ready
to django.
This way you get apache2/mysql/phpmyadmin/etc. and django running in no
time.

To me that seems easier than running VMware. but I guess VMware is
platform independent?

If more people are interested in a uniform server zip, I just need a
place to host it.

Kind regards,
Matthijs
------=_Part_77279_14995814.1154450440176
------=_Part_77279_14995814.1154450440176--
Joseph Heck
2006-08-04 21:20:17 UTC
For those interested, I've worked up a VMWare image. It's 1.2Gb (zipped),
and I'm <i>SLOWLY</i> transfering it around so that we can get it hosted via
BitTorrent with Jacob's assistance.

In the meantime if you are really, really anxious to get rolling with it...
I posted up the recipe for how I created the image on my blog: <a href="
http://www.rhonabwy.com/wp/2006/08/04/making-a-django-development-imge-for-vmware/">Making
a django development image for VMWare</a>.

Hopefully y'all will like it and it will be reasonably useful. I'd love any
feedback on improving the recipe, etc. In the image, I've included all three
supported DB and libraries, Apache and mod_python, VMWare tools, SPE as an
editor, and a basic structure with an apache config file you can basically
drop right into /etc/apache2/conf/sites-enabled to get rolling.

I'm still looking forward to the day when I can load the infrastructure bits
in a VMWare session on my Mac and just develop with that setup. But... no
VMWare there yet. And yea, I know about Parallels - I'm waiting for VMWare.

-joe

Jeremy Dunck
2006-08-04 21:44:10 UTC
Post by Joseph Heck
a django development image for VMWare</a>.
That's a slightly broken link.

Working:

http://www.rhonabwy.com/wp/2006/08/04/making-a-django-development-image-for-vmware/

Jay Parlar
2006-08-04 21:59:23 UTC
Post by Joseph Heck
For those interested, I've worked up a VMWare image. It's 1.2Gb (zipped),
and I'm <i>SLOWLY</i> transfering it around so that we can get it hosted via
BitTorrent with Jacob's assistance.
In the meantime if you are really, really anxious to get rolling with it...
I posted up the recipe for how I created the image on my blog: <a href="
http://www.rhonabwy.com/wp/2006/08/04/making-a-django-development-imge-for-vmware/">Making
a django development image for VMWare</a>.
Hopefully y'all will like it and it will be reasonably useful. I'd love any
feedback on improving the recipe, etc. In the image, I've included all three
supported DB and libraries, Apache and mod_python, VMWare tools, SPE as an
editor, and a basic structure with an apache config file you can basically
drop right into /etc/apache2/conf/sites-enabled to get rolling.
Joseph: Very cool!

What about the VMWare shrink though? If you log into your VM session
as root, and run 'vmware-toolbox', you'll get a GTK (or maybe Tk,
can't remember) program that will let you run a "shrink". After
shrinking, your image will be about half size. You can then zip that,
and you should get it to half again.

Our images here go from 3GB before shrink, to about 1.3 after shrink,
to about 700megs after zipping it.

Oh, and the link you gave is wrong, it should be:
http://www.rhonabwy.com/wp/2006/08/04/making-a-django-development-image-for-vmware/

(you had forgotten the "a" in "image", but I'm sure most people can
figure that out).

Jay P.

Joseph Heck

Joseph Heck