VMWare image for running/developing Django
Joseph Heck
2006-08-01 16:40:40 UTC
I was fiddling with a VMWare image for running and developing Django with
the intention of posted the results up for anyone to use, and I got myself
tied all in knots. So let me ask the community: what would be the most
useful:

1) a light VMWare image (couple hundred Mb) that was completely command-line
and had the basic components (Django, Python, sqlite3) set up so that anyone
could quick run a dev instance

or

2) a fuller linux image (600Mb+) that had a GUI and perhaps some development
tools (SPE, Vim, Emacs, etc) in addition to the basic components.

or something yet further afield?

-joe

Jacob Kaplan-Moss
2006-08-01 16:57:28 UTC
Post by Joseph Heck
I was fiddling with a VMWare image for running and developing
Django with
the intention of posted the results up for anyone to use, and I got myself
tied all in knots. So let me ask the community: what would be the most
1) a light VMWare image (couple hundred Mb) that was completely command-line
and had the basic components (Django, Python, sqlite3) set up so that anyone
could quick run a dev instance
or
2) a fuller linux image (600Mb+) that had a GUI and perhaps some development
tools (SPE, Vim, Emacs, etc) in addition to the basic components.
or something yet further afield?
Personally, if I'm going to download a few hundred megs, it might as
well be 600... I also think that if someone's wanting to fool with
Django they're also going to want to play with what a real
development environment might feel like. So, yes to editors.

Oh, and if it's not too difficult, you might even think about
including MySQL and Postgres alongside sqlite (for pretty much the
same reasons).

BTW, if bandwidth is a problem, I'd happily host the image on my
servers; I've got a stupidly large amount of bandwidth and a torrent
tracker ready to go.

I'm really looking forward to playing with this!

Jacob

Jay Parlar
2006-08-01 18:19:57 UTC
I agree with Jacob, full image (with MySQL and PostgreSQL as well).

This is actually the setup I used at a contract gig. I had a VMWare
image setup and configured for doing both development and deployment.
So after I leave, if anyone needs to make modifications, then can just
run the VM image on their own machine, fix things, and redeploy. It's
worked very nicely so far.

We had a Gentoo image running X and fluxbox, that compressed down to
about 700 megs (using VMWare's 'shrink', and standard zip).

Maybe CDs of a Django development environment could be given out at conferences!

Jay P.

Joseph Heck
2006-08-01 23:39:29 UTC
Well, the baseline image that I've just knocked together (desktop, full
servers, etc) is running in the 3Gb file range (uncompressed...)

I'm building it with VMWare Server - I don't see an option for shrinking the
VM image. I was planning on Zipping it to see what compression I could get -
but it's pretty darn hefty...

I may make two images at this rate - the full blown gig and a command-line
only version.

-joe
Jay Parlar
2006-08-02 00:45:46 UTC
Post by Joseph Heck
Well, the baseline image that I've just knocked together (desktop, full
servers, etc) is running in the 3Gb file range (uncompressed...)
I'm building it with VMWare Server - I don't see an option for shrinking the
VM image. I was planning on Zipping it to see what compression I could get -
but it's pretty darn hefty...
I may make two images at this rate - the full blown gig and a command-line
only version.
I've only ever used it from the VMPlayer. From a VNC session into the
player, I would type "vmware-toolbox" (or something like that), and a
little GTK app would pop up, and give me the option to shrink.

I'll try to get more details tomorrow when I'm at work, where I have
it documented.

I was able to get a 3 gig uncompressed image down to ~1.5 gigs after
the shrink, and ~700MB after the zip.

Jay P.

2006-08-02 08:20:35 UTC
Please post a link when you get the image online, I would love to give
it a spin.

/mac

Matthijs
2006-08-02 19:32:51 UTC
Personally I use a custom uniform server
(http://sourceforge.net/projects/miniserver) which is basically a
zip-file that you unpack on your Win32 windows system, and you're ready
to django.
This way you get apache2/mysql/phpmyadmin/etc. and django running in no
time.

To me that seems easier than running VMware. but I guess VMware is
platform independent?

If more people are interested in a uniform server zip, I just need a
place to host it.

Kind regards,
Matthijs
------=_Part_77279_14995814.1154450440176
------=_Part_77279_14995814.1154450440176--
Joseph Heck
2006-08-04 21:20:17 UTC
For those interested, I've worked up a VMWare image. It's 1.2Gb (zipped),
and I'm <i>SLOWLY</i> transfering it around so that we can get it hosted via
BitTorrent with Jacob's assistance.

In the meantime if you are really, really anxious to get rolling with it...
I posted up the recipe for how I created the image on my blog: <a href="
http://www.rhonabwy.com/wp/2006/08/04/making-a-django-development-imge-for-vmware/">Making
a django development image for VMWare</a>.

Hopefully y'all will like it and it will be reasonably useful. I'd love any
feedback on improving the recipe, etc. In the image, I've included all three
supported DB and libraries, Apache and mod_python, VMWare tools, SPE as an
editor, and a basic structure with an apache config file you can basically
drop right into /etc/apache2/conf/sites-enabled to get rolling.

I'm still looking forward to the day when I can load the infrastructure bits
in a VMWare session on my Mac and just develop with that setup. But... no
VMWare there yet. And yea, I know about Parallels - I'm waiting for VMWare.

-joe

Jeremy Dunck
2006-08-04 21:44:10 UTC
Post by Joseph Heck
a django development image for VMWare</a>.
That's a slightly broken link.

Working:

http://www.rhonabwy.com/wp/2006/08/04/making-a-django-development-image-for-vmware/

Jay Parlar
2006-08-04 21:59:23 UTC
Post by Joseph Heck
For those interested, I've worked up a VMWare image. It's 1.2Gb (zipped),
and I'm <i>SLOWLY</i> transfering it around so that we can get it hosted via
BitTorrent with Jacob's assistance.
In the meantime if you are really, really anxious to get rolling with it...
I posted up the recipe for how I created the image on my blog: <a href="
http://www.rhonabwy.com/wp/2006/08/04/making-a-django-development-imge-for-vmware/">Making
a django development image for VMWare</a>.
Hopefully y'all will like it and it will be reasonably useful. I'd love any
feedback on improving the recipe, etc. In the image, I've included all three
supported DB and libraries, Apache and mod_python, VMWare tools, SPE as an
editor, and a basic structure with an apache config file you can basically
drop right into /etc/apache2/conf/sites-enabled to get rolling.
Joseph: Very cool!

What about the VMWare shrink though? If you log into your VM session
as root, and run 'vmware-toolbox', you'll get a GTK (or maybe Tk,
can't remember) program that will let you run a "shrink". After
shrinking, your image will be about half size. You can then zip that,
and you should get it to half again.

Our images here go from 3GB before shrink, to about 1.3 after shrink,
to about 700megs after zipping it.

Oh, and the link you gave is wrong, it should be:
http://www.rhonabwy.com/wp/2006/08/04/making-a-django-development-image-for-vmware/

(you had forgotten the "a" in "image", but I'm sure most people can
figure that out).

Jay P.

Joseph Heck

Joseph Heck

Jan Claeys
2006-08-12 17:09:29 UTC
Post by Joseph Heck
Ah - brilliant. (Thanks for the "Shrink" tip - I looked around and
couldn't find anywhere to invoke it up). That's got it down to just at
1Gb.
An Ubuntu live-cd fits on a 650 MiB CD-R, while it includes lots of
software that you don't need for a Django VmWare image (things like
OOo2), so it should be easily possible to fit this in less...

(I think less than 500 MiB should be possible.)
--
Jan Claeys

Michael
2006-08-15 01:01:34 UTC
Hi all,

It is posssible to setup Qemu ( platform independent )
http://fabrice.bellard.free.fr/qemu/

and run djanog on it.
I've test in with debian etch ,python2.3.5,django-trunk+sqlite3, no apache -
run as django dev server.
The whole image around 200mb with qcow compressed format
without compr = 449mb
compress winth bzip2 = 158MB
The full size inside = 316MB
So far it is runnig well.

As well I've converted this image t ovmware format to run inside vmware -
size of image before compress = 415mb
after compressing it with bzip2 size only 158mb

If anyone interested I can put the image qemu or vmware to somewhere.
Michael

Jon Atkinson
2006-08-15 11:50:30 UTC
Michael,

It's a great idea, but the images do seem a little large - if you're
running only python and sqlite, would one of the smaller distributions
not be more suitable as a base? There are plenty of floppy and
business-card distributions out there which are around 70mb (Damn
Small Linux springs to mind), so you might be able to get the disk
images down to an even smaller size.

--Jon
-
Matthew Flanagan
2006-08-15 12:25:09 UTC
I saw this a while back:

"""
Python Web Developer Appliance

includes a complete set of tools for developing and deploying web
applications using Python
"""

http://www.vmware.com/vmtn/appliances/directory/289

It is 448MB but includes quite a lot more than just python, django and sqlite.
Michael
2006-08-15 19:17:14 UTC
Yes, I've got DSL as well. ISO is 50mb after installing it onto HDD size
groing to 150-160mb compress image around 80mb ( without python ,django
,svn)
DSL also include a lot of tools - so if remove them them -may be possible to
get image around 30-40mb
haven't tried any other distro but I think it would be posiible to find
some.

--
Michael
-
Felix Ingram
2006-08-16 16:41:48 UTC
I thought that this thread sounded interesting so I had a go creating
several vmware images. The first was an Ubuntu which weighed in at
over 500 mb (all sizes are the 'used' portion from df -h), which then
stopped working (I think I _may_ have deleted the kernel image while
trying to save space).

I then tried to install DSL but couldn't get it to find the hard drive.

Then I tried to create an image using rbuilder online but Apache2
isn't available and 'cooking' my group with Python generated an error
so no joy there.

My final effort was to set up a minimal Debian installation. I've got
it set up with Postgres 8.1, Apache2, subversion and Python 2.4.
Django is installed from svn and installed. There's a default project
directory set up (diddydjango) with the admin app configured and
installed. The image is ~190Mb when zipped up (230 with 'portable'
compression). There's no X so you'll have to ssh into it.

Because there's no local gui I've set up a script to bind the dev
server to the external address. The idea is that you can drop straight
into a working environment ready to start an app. For editors you've
got Vim set up for 3773 Py7h0n d3v (inc snippetsEmu and Project) or
Nano.

It's stuck on my machine for the time being as I've nowhere to upload
it to. If anyone would like a copy then drop me a mail and we'll see
what we can do.

Felix