How to get/assign the contents of the app code directory into my Django project
jaisol
2015-03-10 21:18:17 UTC
Hi,

Sorry to ask such a silly question.... I just cloned a Django app via git
and I want to get the contents of the app code directory into my Django
project.

The Readme.md says the following but I don't get it :-(

Folder Structure

You will need to get the contents of the src/idea directory into your
Django project. The simplest way to do this might be a symbolic link.

mydjango_project/
|- idea/ (includes models.py, views.py, etc.)
|- mydjango_project/ (settings.py, url.py, etc.)
|- manage.py
|- etc etc etc

Any advice or guidance would be greatly appreciated !!

Thanks!
Gergely Polonkai
2015-03-10 22:02:58 UTC
Hello,

this pretty much depends on your environment. I, personally, use virtualenv
and pip, so most likely will install such an external app like this:

pip install git://my.favourite.provider/awesome/app.git

If you use your system python, with a system-wide installed django, then
you may either want to install this new app into a system-wide python
directory, or simply inject it into your application's structure (which, in
turn, may mess up your version control system, if you use any; and you
should).

Best,
Gergely
https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/django-users/b5f3a14a-a487-4459-843f-ca7d560beff9%40googlegroups.com
<https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/django-users/b5f3a14a-a487-4459-843f-ca7d560beff9%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>
.
jaisol
2015-03-10 23:09:47 UTC
Thanks for your quick response.

Ok. I'm using my system python with a system-wide installed django.

I ran git clone:
git clone https://github.com/provider/app.git and it created the folder
structure of the django app I think.

what I don't get is how to complete your advice ("or simply inject it into
your application's structure") within the downloaded app.
I mean, after downloading the app via git clone... should I create/edit
some configuration file to get the contents of the "src/idea" app directory
into my django project? and how? :-(

Thanks again!
Post by jaisol
Hi,
Sorry to ask such a silly question.... I just cloned a Django app via git
and I want to get the contents of the app code directory into my Django
project.
The Readme.md says the following but I don't get it :-(
Folder Structure
You will need to get the contents of the src/idea directory into your
Django project. The simplest way to do this might be a symbolic link.
mydjango_project/
|- idea/ (includes models.py, views.py, etc.)
|- mydjango_project/ (settings.py, url.py, etc.)
|- manage.py
|- etc etc etc
Any advice or guidance would be greatly appreciated !!
Thanks!
<javascript:>.
Gergely Polonkai
2015-03-11 06:58:53 UTC
Hello,

as you didn't say which module you downloaded from GitHub, I cannot give
you exact information. Most Python modules have a ”setup” system, which
will copy all installable components to their place. If you can't (or don't
want to) install a module, you have to copy these files manually.

From your question I guess that this module has all its files under
appname/src, so I think it will be enough to copy the src folder next to
your app directory, with a sane name (e.g. extmodule). After this step, you
can use extmodule as if it were your own app, like inserting it into
INSTALLED_APPS, etc.

However, the way you want to do it can really mess up things, especially
when a new version of this app gets released. You should install (and I
mean install, not just copy) the app system-wide, or into your own home
directory (and in this case add the location to PYTHONPATH). I personally
suggest to use virtualenv, which makes this above process a child's play :)

Best,
Gergely
https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/django-users/7c4520d1-d6ce-4905-bb32-284e18bfc382%40googlegroups.com
<https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/django-users/7c4520d1-d6ce-4905-bb32-284e18bfc382%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>
.
jaisol
2015-03-11 16:23:49 UTC
Thanks again for your time on this.

Even the setup.py comes with the downloaded app I didn't execute it because
it wasn't part of the Install steps noted at the README.md file.

Also, I didn't say which module I downloaded from GitHub because I thought
it was against the forum policies so I guess I was wrong :-(, I mean... to
point an specific url outside externally.

Would you mind to take a look at https://github.com/mherick/idea-box and
let me know what is the best way (virtualenv, setup.py, copy src folder,
...) to make this app/module usable? (by the way, I have completed all the
Installation steps except the "Folder Structure" section which is the cause
of my original post)

Once again, Thank you so much for your time !
Post by Gergely Polonkai
Hello,
as you didn't say which module you downloaded from GitHub, I cannot give
you exact information. Most Python modules have a ”setup” system, which
will copy all installable components to their place. If you can't (or don't
want to) install a module, you have to copy these files manually.
From your question I guess that this module has all its files under
jaisol