I need instructions in best way to use django under IIS shared hosting (Python is installed)
m***@gmail.com
2006-05-23 22:08:04 UTC
Hi,

Because I'm a lucky man, i'm convinced to my hosting provider to setup
python so I can play with django ;)

I have a reseller account, so I plan to reuse my first django website
(a portal of colombian food)

But, this guys are asking how setup the thing. Rigth now, this guys are
already installed python

I know this:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb%3Ben-us%3B276494

But is a instruction from MS... so how can be good (no! is not becuase
is from MS: serving CGI this way is bad performance!)

I want to provide a good advice: My parent hosting company is given to
me a *great* favor so I don't wanna put the support staff in
troubles... This is for run in a shared hosting environemnt so must be
bullet proof.

Because that, I think is impossible to demand a apache config here.

So, what are the alternatives? (excluding getting a linux box)

- Is FastCGI the rigth answer?
- Existe a stable ISAPI dll?

Jeremy Dunck
2006-05-23 22:11:50 UTC
Post by m***@gmail.com
So, what are the alternatives? (excluding getting a linux box)
- Is FastCGI the rigth answer?
- Existe a stable ISAPI dll?
You've set up some very odd and difficult requirements.

2006-05-23 22:35:23 UTC
I have high expectations from the python crew ;)

So, after all, not was windows the easy and linux the ugly!

Ian Holsman
2006-05-23 22:25:47 UTC
Post by m***@gmail.com
re.
So, what are the alternatives? (excluding getting a linux box)
you can run apache2.2 on windows quite well.
if IIS has a proxy type solution you could just run apache2.2 on a
separate port and have it handle the django side of things.
otherwise you could have apache become the front-end webserver and
then delegate the requests which require ISS to the proxy.
something like in apache

namevirtualhost *

<virtualhost *>
servername i-need-iis
proxypass / http://127.0.0.1:3000/
proxypassreverse / http://127.0.0.1:3000/
</virtualhost>
where IIS would run on port 3000.

regards
Post by m***@gmail.com
- Is FastCGI the rigth answer?
- Existe a stable ISAPI dll?
2006-05-23 22:38:10 UTC
I don't think the last option (swap the IIS for Apache) like to the
hosting company. Remember: is a shared hosting server, already RUNNING
websites and that thing (the test part is my job, but if that pass ok
this must be a simply thing for theirs)...

The first option... that not mean that a URL become:

www.mysite:3000/index?

Is fine for development or in-house websites but I'm planing run
comercial websites...

Ian Holsman
2006-05-23 22:44:39 UTC
your not understanding reverse proxying.
the ':3000' is not visible to the outside.

IIS would need to forward the request to the port and then push the
response back to you

something like this http://www.saltypickle.com/Home/16 is what I am
talking about
iGL
2006-05-24 01:22:08 UTC
Hi,
I guess the right way to run a Django app on IIS is to use ISAPI-WSGI
module. However, I haven't tested it much and, definitely, never did so
in a production mode...
Anyway, hope the following helps:
Since Py2.4, ISAPI dll is part of activepython2.4
(http://aspn.activestate.com/ASPN/docs/ActivePython/2.4/pywin32/html/isapi/doc/isapi.html
); also, it's (ISAPI) a part of Mark Hemmond's win32 extensions (
http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=78018 ).
There seem to be some other PyISAPIs: http://pyisapie.sourceforge.net/
Anyway, once you ensure that PyISAPI is running correctly, visit
isapi-wsgi extensions page: http://isapi-wsgi.python-hosting.com/ and
run Django as another wsgi app.

greetings,
Giorgi

2006-05-24 17:15:03 UTC
I read anything I get in google about IIS/FastCGI/Django
deployment/WSGI and that stuff..

And I think is very confusing. Is not starnge then people fear to test
python for web hosting: is far more dificult that any other web-enable
language in the deploy side of the things...

I read the ActiveState site: Don't say anything.

The PyISAPI project not have anything about how configure the thing

The only thing I can figure is (for FastCGI)

http://rubyforiis.sosukodo.org/rubyforiis/documentation/installationinstructionsforversion01

About install ruby on IIS.. have some sense, but only have in return
blank pages...

I check the WSGI support and maybe I can figure something but the
requeriment to build a .asp page for EACH Url is insane... and the
thing about replicate the url rewriting is not fun...

I only found people that say was able to use IIS with fastcgi or that
say WSGI is the way for python but nothing concrete yet...

Jeremy Dunck
2006-05-24 18:04:32 UTC
Post by m***@gmail.com
And I think is very confusing. Is not starnge then people fear to test
python for web hosting: is far more dificult that any other web-enable
language in the deploy side of the things...
In your own self-interest: you've said you plan to run commercial
sites on this platform. You have a well-known scaleable and
community-supported configuration (apache+mod_python) on the one hand,
and an alpha- or beta-quality IIS shoehorn on the other hand. Is
hosting such a significant cost that you couldn't switch to a better
configuration?

2006-05-24 19:18:06 UTC
I know...

I have the option to get Linux as a fallback.

The reason? I have everything now under this package, the databases,
the sites, the expertise. I have almost zero experience in run linux
and configure this...

Anyway, despite the fact if I go to Linux or not, I think that persue
the option of easy to run under IIS can help python/django in the
exposure side of the things...

Take in account that if something is under IIS is because run also
ASP/ASP.NET and have some investiment here...

Add another web server is hard to sell...

Brett Parker
2006-05-25 07:26:56 UTC
Post by m***@gmail.com
I know...
I have the option to get Linux as a fallback.
Shouldn't ever be a fallback, it should be the primary choice - unless
you're fond of having your webserver compromised... (speaking from
experience of setting up IIS and within 3 minutes of it being on the net
with the latest updates it being backdoored and viruses roaming free...)
Post by m***@gmail.com
The reason? I have everything now under this package, the databases,
the sites, the expertise. I have almost zero experience in run linux
and configure this...
All eggs, one basket? Sounds like a good way to run a business there.
Post by m***@gmail.com
Anyway, despite the fact if I go to Linux or not, I think that persue
the option of easy to run under IIS can help python/django in the
exposure side of the things...
Not at the expense of doing more useful things, like finishing off for
the 1.0 release!
Post by m***@gmail.com
Take in account that if something is under IIS is because run also
ASP/ASP.NET and have some investiment here...
Or because the space is going cheap because no one else wants to touch
it with a barge pole...
Post by m***@gmail.com
Add another web server is hard to sell...
Really? I've not noticed that, but the I'm a single user and have 3 web
servers in different places.

Thanks,
Brett.

DavidA
2006-05-25 20:59:04 UTC
I've used Python with IIS for the MoinMoin wiki (where do they get
these names?). They have a good doc on configuring IIS for Python:
http://moinmoin.wikiwikiweb.de/HelpOnInstalling/InternetInformationServer#head-890abdbd0d21bf874ce794be87067abf433a51d7

I've done it. It works fine. And then I woke up and installed Apache
and turned off the IIS service.

Note that if you are stuck on Windows, Apache + mod_python + MySQL +
Django works very well. I run that at work and do a lot of my personal
Django development on that and then just "svn up" and "service httpd
restart" on my Linux box to roll out changes.

Jeremy Dunck
2006-05-25 21:15:24 UTC
Post by DavidA
I've used Python with IIS for the MoinMoin wiki (where do they get
these names?).
They speak German.
Post by DavidA
Note that if you are stuck on Windows, Apache + mod_python + MySQL +
Django works very well.
Doesn't pre-forking apache on windows scale badly due to window's high
process startup cost? I guess it'd depend how often you recycle your
httpd processes...

Ian Holsman
2006-05-25 21:17:35 UTC
Post by Jeremy Dunck
Post by DavidA
Note that if you are stuck on Windows, Apache + mod_python + MySQL +
Django works very well.
Doesn't pre-forking apache on windows scale badly due to window's high
process startup cost? I guess it'd depend how often you recycle your
httpd processes...
Apache2 hasn't pre-forked on windows for years, it uses threads
inside a single process,
and is about as fast (or faster.. it was close) as the version
running on linux last time I checked.