Django-like PHP framework?
t***@gmail.com
2009-01-05 13:31:08 UTC
Hi,

I have a hard time getting Django adopted as web framework in the
office.
Mostly because the boss paid for PHP-based trainings, and our current
infrastructure leaves little room for mod_python/wsgi/fastcgi...

I was wondering if some fo you know about competitor PHP frameworks
that "look like" Django, or at least try to reach that level of
purity.

Thanks for any comment (and sorry about this unfair request :-P)
Peter Bailey
2009-01-05 14:11:28 UTC
You might want to have a look at CakePHP. It follows the MCV pattern I
believe, although I have not looked closely because it is PHP not
Python.

http://cakephp.org/

Peter
HB
Tirta K. Untario
2009-01-05 14:22:12 UTC
I haven't found an MTV framework like Django on PHP and Django has a very unique concept behind it.

But if you want and MVC framework like Rails or Pylons, I recommend you Kohana framework - http://www.kohanaphp.com. Originally based on CodeIgniter, it has evolved a lot, and I vote it as the best framework for PHP :D

--Tirta
Емил Иванов / Emil Ivanov
2009-01-05 14:32:24 UTC
Welding together Zend Framework, Doctrine and PHPUnit can give you a
very good stack to work with.
All 3 frameworks are very advanced.
You won't get stuff like automatic model forms and the admin for example.

Doctrine is a very advanced ORM tool (and a big a complex one as well).
ZF is sort of the industry standard for PHP, so is PHPUnit.

ZF has integration with PHPUnit and something that is very similar to
Django's Client.

The communities are also quite good.

P.S. Don't expect to find something as good as Django anywhere else though. :)
--
My place to share my ideas:
http://bolddream.com

Masklinn
2009-01-05 17:14:38 UTC
Post by t***@gmail.com
Hi,
I have a hard time getting Django adopted as web framework in the
office.
Mostly because the boss paid for PHP-based trainings, and our current
infrastructure leaves little room for mod_python/wsgi/fastcgi...
I was wondering if some fo you know about competitor PHP frameworks
that "look like" Django, or at least try to reach that level of
purity.
Thanks for any comment (and sorry about this unfair request :-P)
There are quite a few PHP frameworks, but as far as I know the only
one that really drew inspiration from Django is Symfony.

Didn't do it for everything either, but they at least ported Django's
newforms as Symfony 1.1's forms. They don't look anywhere as sexy as
Django's in my opinion and I don't know the rest of the framework, but
I have a few friends who code in PHP for a living and swear by it. YMMV.

Dave Dash
2009-01-06 05:24:39 UTC
I did a lot of symfony stuff on the side about a year ago, and now
it's the framework that I we use for our frontend servers at
Delicious.com. It was through symfony that I found out about Django,
and started using it quite a bit... so I know a bit about the two
frameworks. Or rather, I know a lot about symfony, but much of that
is being replaced with stuff I'm learning about Django.

As PHP MVC frameworks go, symfony is great. It borrows from where it
needs to, to give you a good suite of tools. The direction it is
heading in is also nice.

The new 1.1/1.2 series supports Doctrine which was a lot nicer than
Propel when Iast looked at the two.

The nice thing about using symfony is the developer of symfony uses
Django from time to time, and borrows from it where appropriate. I'd
wage that you'd see more in common with Django and symfony than any
other PHP framework.

Cheers,

-d
2009-01-09 09:26:57 UTC
Thanks for your recommendations/opinions/experiences.

I had a look at some of these frameworks. To get started, I will dig
deeper in the Symfony framework.

I would say that what bothers me most is that they are written in PHP
(you know, this case-insensitive language with no namespace and
inconsistent 'batteries included'...), and some of them mix PHP/XML/
YAML/etc... I have to get used to that :-)

Hernan Olivera

makoto tsuyuki
2009-01-06 07:06:49 UTC
How about rhaco?

http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&ie=UTF-8&u=http%3A%2F%2Frhaco-users.jp%2F&sl=ja&tl=en&history_state0=

rhaco has...
* Template Inheritance
* Model based validation
* URLMapper
* admin
* doctest
* Made in Japan...(No english document)

openpear, Japanese Pear Channel, is made with rhaco.
http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&ie=UTF-8&u=http%3A%2F%2Fopenpear.org%2F&sl=ja&tl=en&history_state0=