Creating a hospital erp (hospital management) in Django
Saadat
2012-02-10 10:58:16 UTC
Hello All,
I'm in my final year of computer science engineering and for my final
year project, i'm creating a hospital erp. I'm a bit confused about
where to start from. Any sort of help will be appreciated. Thanks a
lot.

Cheers
Saadat
2012-02-10 13:06:28 UTC
Hello, nice thread.

**tagged to keep following..

+adesst

Python_Junkie
2012-02-10 13:18:55 UTC
Not sure from your post, which piece you are stuck on.

1. Have you used Django before?
If not start with the tutorial

https://www.djangoproject.com/

2. If you have a basic understanding of Django, have you been able to
set up a basic project /app and connect run syncdb.
One can always connect to the sqllite database, because it is built
in, but getting some other database to connect can be a time consuming
process if the procedure has not been established on your machine.

3. If you have done the above 2 items then you should move in a
parallel path.

a. Start defining your database model to support the business and the
workflow that you intend to create.
b. Use some sort of wire frame (framework) to lay out your web pages
to support and interact step 3 a.
Post by a***@gmail.com
Hello, nice thread.
**tagged to keep following..
+adesst
Python_Junkie
2012-02-10 13:26:47 UTC
I had not completed my previous post, and hit the send button by
mistake.

One wire frame work is
http://www.balsamiq.com/products/mockups/manifesto

And you can download a free trial.

If you search on Frameworks then you will find a number of others that
are open source, or you can simply use yellow stickies, as some of
these web sites suggest as an alternative.

Then convert the yellow stickies into web pages and link them to the
backend database.

Good luck
Post by Python_Junkie
Not sure from your post, which piece you are stuck on.
1. Have you used Django before?
If not start with the tutorial
https://www.djangoproject.com/
2. If you have a basic understanding of Django, have you been able to
set up a basic project /app and connect run syncdb.
One can always connect to the sqllite database, because it is built
in, but getting some other database to connect can be a time consuming
process if the procedure has not been established on your machine.
3. If you have done the above 2 items then you should move in a
parallel path.
a. Start defining your database model to support the business and the
workflow that you intend to create.
b. Use some sort of wire frame (framework) to lay out your web pages
to support and interact step 3 a.
Post by a***@gmail.com
Hello, nice thread.
**tagged to keep following..
+adesst
Patricio Valarezo
2012-02-10 13:59:29 UTC
Post by Python_Junkie
Not sure from your post, which piece you are stuck on.
1. Have you used Django before?
If not start with the tutorial
https://www.djangoproject.com/
2. If you have a basic understanding of Django, have you been able to
set up a basic project /app and connect run syncdb.
One can always connect to the sqllite database, because it is built
in, but getting some other database to connect can be a time consuming
process if the procedure has not been established on your machine.
3. If you have done the above 2 items then you should move in a
parallel path.
a. Start defining your database model to support the business and the
workflow that you intend to create.
b. Use some sort of wire frame (framework) to lay out your web pages
to support and interact step 3 a.
Post by a***@gmail.com
Hello, nice thread.
**tagged to keep following..
+adesst
2012-02-13 20:59:30 UTC
Hi Patricio
I dont understand what you mean by System Development methodology.
What exactly do you want me to let you know?

Thanks
Post by Python_Junkie
Not sure from your post, which piece you are stuck on.
1. Have you used Django before?
If not start with the tutorial
https://www.djangoproject.com/
2. If you have a basic understanding of Django, have you been able to
set up a basic project /app and connect run syncdb.
One can always connect to the sqllite database, because it is built
in, but getting some other database to connect can be a time consuming
process if the procedure has not been established on your machine.
3. If you have done the above 2 items then you should move in a
parallel path.
a. Start defining your database model to support the business and the
workflow that you intend to create.
b. Use some sort of wire frame (framework) to lay out your web pages
to support and interact step 3 a.
Post by a***@gmail.com
Hello, nice thread.
**tagged to keep following..
+adesst
--
Patricio Valarezo Lozano.
"las cosas no se hacen solas, alguien las tiene que hacer..."
Saadat
2012-02-13 20:56:48 UTC
Thank you Python_junkie
I've created the poll app and I'm working on this Hospital ERP thing.
I've also created the database schema and put some dummy values for
testing. Then I created the models using 'inspected' command and saved
the models in models.py file. Now I'm confused where to put the
models.py file and what to with it. Guide me please.

Thanks a lot.
Saadat
Post by Python_Junkie
Not sure from your post, which piece you are stuck on.
1. Have you used Django before?
If not start with the tutorial
https://www.djangoproject.com/
2. If you have a basic understanding of Django, have you been able to
set up a basic project /app and connect run syncdb.
One can always connect to the sqllite database, because it is built
in, but getting some other database to connect can be a time consuming
process if the procedure has not been established on your machine.
3. If you have done the above 2 items then you should move in a
parallel path.
a. Start defining your database model to support the business and the
workflow that you intend to create.
b. Use some sort of wire frame (framework) to lay out your web pages
to support and interact step 3 a.
Post by a***@gmail.com
Hello, nice thread.
**tagged to keep following..
+adesst
2012-02-14 03:07:03 UTC
Now that you have your file >>models.py >>>> place this file in the
app folder after creating your app

1. python manage.py start app My_Erp (for example)
2. a blank models.py file will be created, overwrite this with your
models.py
3. run the command to sync the database, assuming that your set up the
settings.py file has been set up correctly to connect to the database
of your choice.

python manage.py syncdb

Post by Python_Junkie
Not sure from your post, which piece you are stuck on.
1. Have you used Django before?
If not start with the tutorial
https://www.djangoproject.com/
2. If you have a basic understanding of Django, have you been able to
set up a basic project /app and connect run syncdb.
One can always connect to the sqllite database, because it is built
in, but getting some other database to connect can be a time consuming
process if the procedure has not been established on your machine.
3. If you have done the above 2 items then you should move in a
parallel path.
a. Start defining your database model to support the business and the
workflow that you intend to create.
b. Use some sort of wire frame (framework) to lay out your web pages
to support and interact step 3 a.
Post by a***@gmail.com
Hello, nice thread.
**tagged to keep following..
+adesst
sebastien piquemal
2012-02-14 13:37:35 UTC
+1 to @Patricio Valarezo's comment :

If you want to build a system for hospitals, you've got to know how an
hospital works first. So, make interviews, draw mockups, more
interviews, code a prototype, more interviews, and so on ... and only
then you'll know what you need to do.
Post by Python_Junkie
Not sure from your post, which piece you are stuck on.
1. Have you used Django before?
If not start with the tutorial
https://www.djangoproject.com/
2. If you have a basic understanding of Django, have you been able to
set up a basic project /app and connect run syncdb.
One can always connect to the sqllite database, because it is built
in, but getting some other database to connect can be a time consuming
process if the procedure has not been established on your machine.
3. If you have done the above 2 items then you should move in a
parallel path.
a. Start defining your database model to support the business and the
workflow that you intend to create.
b. Use some sort of wire frame (framework) to lay out your web pages
to support and interact step 3 a.
Post by a***@gmail.com
Hello, nice thread.
**tagged to keep following..
+adesst
2012-02-14 14:12:13 UTC
Thanks Sebastien, I already have the info about the various
departments of the hospital. I also created a sample database with
tables being Patient detail, Then I created the admin interface and I
could login and see the app over there. I could also access and edit
the details of the tables thru the admin interface. Now, how do i
create the view for normal user who is not an admin. What do i have to
do with the templates? Thanks for everything.

Saadat
Post by Python_Junkie
Not sure from your post, which piece you are stuck on.
1. Have you used Django before?
If not start with the tutorial
https://www.djangoproject.com/
2. If you have a basic understanding of Django, have you been able to
set up a basic project /app and connect run syncdb.
One can always connect to the sqllite database, because it is built
in, but getting some other database to connect can be a time consuming
process if the procedure has not been established on your machine.
3. If you have done the above 2 items then you should move in a
parallel path.
a. Start defining your database model to support the business and the
workflow that you intend to create.
b. Use some sort of wire frame (framework) to lay out your web pages
to support and interact step 3 a.
Post by a***@gmail.com
Hello, nice thread.
**tagged to keep following..
+adesst
Alec Taylor
2012-02-14 14:16:09 UTC
Hi Saadat,

I recommend reading a book on Django to get started.

All the best,

Alec Taylor
Post by Python_Junkie
Not sure from your post, which piece you are stuck on.
1. Have you used Django before?
If not start with the tutorial
https://www.djangoproject.com/
2. If you have a basic understanding of Django, have you been able to
set up a basic project /app and connect run syncdb.
One can always connect to the sqllite database, because it is built
in, but getting some other database to connect can be a time consuming
process if the procedure has not been established on your machine.
3. If you have done the above 2 items then you should move in a
parallel path.
a. Start defining your database model to support the business and the
workflow that you intend to create.
b. Use some sort of wire frame (framework) to lay out your web pages
to support and interact step 3 a.
Post by a***@gmail.com
Hello, nice thread.
**tagged to keep following..
+adesst
Saadat
2012-02-16 11:12:52 UTC
Hello All
I created a view today and I could access the database values usi
Post by Python_Junkie
Not sure from your post, which piece you are stuck on.
1. Have you used Django before?
If not start with the tutorial
https://www.djangoproject.com/
2. If you have a basic understanding of Django, have you been able to
set up a basic project /app and connect run syncdb.
One can always connect to the sqllite database, because it is built
in, but getting some other database to connect can be a time consuming
process if the procedure has not been established on your machine.
3. If you have done the above 2 items then you should move in a
parallel path.
a. Start defining your database model to support the business and the
workflow that you intend to create.
b. Use some sort of wire frame (framework) to lay out your web pages
to support and interact step 3 a.
Post by a***@gmail.com
Hello, nice thread.
**tagged to keep following..
+adesst
2012-02-16 11:18:03 UTC
Hi all, I created a view today and I could access the database
contents using Templates. Now I wish to create a listbox that would
have the names of doctors. When an item from the list is selected, an
sql query should be sent which will return all the details of that
doctor, where doc_id is the primary key? how do we create buttons? do
we need to use html or django can handle them also?

Thanks a lot people.
Saadat
Post by Python_Junkie
Not sure from your post, which piece you are stuck on.
1. Have you used Django before?
If not start with the tutorial
https://www.djangoproject.com/
2. If you have a basic understanding of Django, have you been able to
set up a basic project /app and connect run syncdb.
One can always connect to the sqllite database, because it is built
in, but getting some other database to connect can be a time consuming
process if the procedure has not been established on your machine.
3. If you have done the above 2 items then you should move in a
parallel path.
a. Start defining your database model to support the business and the
workflow that you intend to create.
b. Use some sort of wire frame (framework) to lay out your web pages
to support and interact step 3 a.
Post by a***@gmail.com
Hello, nice thread.
**tagged to keep following..
+adesst
Alec Taylor
2012-02-17 02:50:27 UTC
ModelForm
Post by Python_Junkie
Not sure from your post, which piece you are stuck on.
1. Have you used Django before?
If not start with the tutorial
https://www.djangoproject.com/
2. If you have a basic understanding of Django, have you been able to
set up a basic project /app and connect run syncdb.
One can always connect to the sqllite database, because it is built
in, but getting some other database to connect can be a time consuming
process if the procedure has not been established on your machine.
3. If you have done the above 2 items then you should move in a
parallel path.
a. Start defining your database model to support the business and the
workflow that you intend to create.
b. Use some sort of wire frame (framework) to lay out your web pages
to support and interact step 3 a.
Post by a***@gmail.com
Hello, nice thread.
**tagged to keep following..
+adesst
2012-02-18 12:53:36 UTC
Hello all
Can someone guide me to create a drop down menu (single-level).. i
need to put this menu in a header file that will be included in every
page. A bit of code and some explanation is required. tried searching
on the Internet, but couldn't find anything. thanks a lot
Post by Alec Taylor
ModelForm
Post by Python_Junkie
Not sure from your post, which piece you are stuck on.
1. Have you used Django before?
If not start with the tutorial
https://www.djangoproject.com/
2. If you have a basic understanding of Django, have you been able to
set up a basic project /app and connect run syncdb.
One can always connect to the sqllite database, because it is built
in, but getting some other database to connect can be a time consuming
process if the procedure has not been established on your machine.
3. If you have done the above 2 items then you should move in a
parallel path.
a. Start defining your database model to support the business and the
workflow that you intend to create.
b. Use some sort of wire frame (framework) to lay out your web pages
to support and interact step 3 a.
Post by a***@gmail.com
Hello, nice thread.
**tagged to keep following..
+adesst
Alec Taylor
2012-02-18 13:19:22 UTC
http://divitodesign.com/css/how-to-dropdown-css-menu/

When you're doing template stuff, read:
- HTML
- CSS
- JS
- Python

tutorials.

Also, get a book. The questions you are asking are textbook level questions.
Post by Saadat
Hello all
Can someone guide me to create a drop down menu (single-level).. i
need to put this menu in a header file that will be included in every
page. A bit of code and some explanation is required. tried searching
on the Internet, but couldn't find anything. thanks a lot
Post by Alec Taylor
ModelForm
Post by Python_Junkie
Not sure from your post, which piece you are stuck on.
1. Have you used Django before?
If not start with the tutorial
https://www.djangoproject.com/
2. If you have a basic understanding of Django, have you been able to
set up a basic project /app and connect run syncdb.
One can always connect to the sqllite database, because it is built
in, but getting some other database to connect can be a time consuming
process if the procedure has not been established on your machine.
3. If you have done the above 2 items then you should move in a
parallel path.
a. Start defining your database model to support the business and the
workflow that you intend to create.
b. Use some sort of wire frame (framework) to lay out your web pages
to support and interact step 3 a.
Post by a***@gmail.com
Hello, nice thread.
**tagged to keep following..
+adesst
Saadat
2012-02-18 13:52:52 UTC
Alec, I've tried including this css file everywhere, but it doesn't show up anywhere. What exactly do i do with it to include this script on any page, say index. i tried doing it through html as well as django. I don't know what I'm doing wrong?
Post by Saadat
Hello all
Can someone guide me to create a drop down menu (single-level).. i
need to put this menu in a header file that will be included in every
page. A bit of code and some explanation is required. tried searching
on the Internet, but couldn't find anything. thanks a lot
Post by Alec Taylor
ModelForm
Post by Python_Junkie
Not sure from your post, which piece you are stuck on.
1. Have you used Django before?
If not start with the tutorial
https://www.djangoproject.com/
2. If you have a basic understanding of Django, have you been able to
set up a basic project /app and connect run syncdb.
One can always connect to the sqllite database, because it is built
in, but getting some other database to connect can be a time consuming
process if the procedure has not been established on your machine.
3. If you have done the above 2 items then you should move in a
parallel path.
a. Start defining your database model to support the business and the
workflow that you intend to create.
b. Use some sort of wire frame (framework) to lay out your web pages
to support and interact step 3 a.
Post by a***@gmail.com
Hello, nice thread.
**tagged to keep following..
+adesst
Marc Aymerich
2012-02-18 14:09:41 UTC
Post by Saadat
Alec, I've tried including this css file everywhere, but it doesn't show up anywhere. What exactly do i do with it to include this script on any page, say index. i tried doing it through html as well as django. I don't know what I'm doing wrong?
check this:
https://docs.djangoproject.com/en/dev/howto/static-files/

btw, this seems to me a very basic web dev related question, so maybe
it will be better for you to spend some time learning general web dev
related stuff before doing things by your own.
--
Marc
Saadat
2012-02-20 14:12:36 UTC
Hello all
I'm stuck on static files since yesterday. It gives me an error that
no module called "staticfiles" found. What my requirement is that i
have a header file where I'm including a css dropdown menu. how do i
include that file, without using staticfiles. What all needs to be
done to include that file. Thanks a lot.

Saadat
Alec Taylor
2012-02-21 02:14:24 UTC

Design doesn't matter one bit for what you're doing.

Don't try and win design awards by having CSS dropdowns.

Concentrate on solving their business logic rather than adding images
of sexy nurses

And get that book. There are free books online, there's the official
django tutorial also.
Richard House
2012-02-10 13:27:25 UTC
Hi Saadat,
Rather than creating something new, have you looked at contributing to software from such lists like this?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_open-source_healthcare_software

Regards,
Richard
Python_Junkie

Saadat
Saadat
2012-02-13 20:58:06 UTC
Thanks Richard House,
Its my final project and I have to create something new. So I cannot
work on something that has already been built. Thanks again.
Alec Taylor
2012-02-10 15:50:19 UTC
Post by Saadat
Hello All,
I'm in my final year of computer science engineering and for my final
year project, i'm creating a hospital erp. I'm a bit confused about
where to start from. Any sort of help will be appreciated. Thanks a
lot.
Cheers
Saadat
A lot of ERP is general across any field.

I recommend working from the AGPL licensed OpenERP into Django
(http://apps.openerp.com/addon/4533): http://openerp.com

Then just build in all the hospital ERP related functions, streamline
all the interfaces (including config and admin interfaces).

If you find yourself finishing the project early, just throw in some
scope-creep :P, it's an ERP afterall!

Good luck ;)
Ovnicraft
2012-02-14 01:30:55 UTC
Post by Saadat
Hello All,
I'm in my final year of computer science engineering and for my final
year project, i'm creating a hospital erp. I'm a bit confused about
where to start from. Any sort of help will be appreciated. Thanks a
lot.
Maybe DRY can help you and start from OpenERP <http://www.openerp.com>.
Its wrote in python, MVC, WS, etc.

Regards,