Django making box
Sophia
2012-03-13 19:45:25 UTC
Hi guys,

I'm completely a beginner in writing Django codes, I read the book online
for Django, so I have some basic knowledge about it.
The task that I should do is to click on a box and it generates new boxes
above it by every clicking on it. I actually wrote in HTML how to make
boxes, but my problem is that I have no idea how to do the task I've
mentioned earlier. I would really appreciate if you just give me a hint or
a link to guide me about this, because I really confused.

Thanks in advance.
Sophia
Sandro Dutra
2012-03-13 19:58:53 UTC
"The task that I should do is to click on a box and it generates new boxes
above it by every clicking on it."
I think JavaScript (jQuery) is the best option to achieve this.
Joel Goldstick
2012-03-13 20:10:15 UTC
Post by Sophia
Hi guys,
I'm completely a beginner in writing Django codes, I read the book online
for Django, so I have some basic knowledge about it.
The task that I should do is to click on a box and it generates new boxes
above it by every clicking on it. I  actually wrote in HTML how to make
boxes, but my problem is that I have no idea how to do the task I've
mentioned earlier. I would really appreciate if you just give me a hint or a
link to guide me about this, because I really confused.
Thanks in advance.
Sophia

and go through the tutorial links. It takes a couple of hours, and is
well worth the effort to get a handle on how the pieces of Django fit
together.

But the task you mentioned in your post sounds like a javascript
project rather than something you would do on the server.

If you are also new to programming in python and want to learn more
about the language try the python-tutor mailing list
--
Joel Goldstick
Sophia
2012-03-13 20:37:57 UTC
Thanks all for helping, as I told I read that tutorial, but my supervisor
said that I should do that with Django. He didn't mention about learning
JavaScript, but is it impossible just with Django?

Sophia
Javier Guerra Giraldez
2012-03-13 20:54:00 UTC
Post by Sophia
Thanks all for helping, as I told I read that tutorial, but my supervisor
said that I should do that with Django. He didn't mention about learning
JavaScript, but is it impossible just with Django?
django runs on the server. if you want to do some client processing
you need code running on the client, typically Javascript.

of course that code is served from a Django app, and modifying a
django-handled page and form, so the project in a whole is still 'done
with Django'.
--
Javier
Sophia
Anurag Chourasia
2012-03-13 21:42:13 UTC
What Javier meant in his previous message was a client application
.....which of course could be a browser running on your own computer.

For a better understanding of client/server model you could review the
Wikipedia page

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Client%E2%80%93server_model

Regards,
Guddu
Larry Martell
2012-03-13 21:44:22 UTC
Post by Sophia
Thanks for the help, actually it should be run just on my computer not the
client.
creecode
2012-03-13 21:13:25 UTC
Hello Sophia,
Post by Sophia
Thanks all for helping, as I told I read that tutorial, but my supervisor
said that I should do that with Django. He didn't mention about learning
JavaScript, but is it impossible just with Django?
I don't think it would be impossible to do it all in Django. If you do it
solely with Django you would need your box to act like a submit button on a
form so that you can have the Django server do something in response to a
form submission.

But without a clearer definition of how you want your app to behave it will
be hard for us to give you more insight into how you might proceed.

When you say supervisor said is shoul be done in Django is that a
supervisor as in teacher? Or supervisor as your superior at work?

Toodle-looooooooo..........
creecode
Sophia
2012-03-13 21:31:13 UTC
Thanks for answering, I meant supervisor for my internship. Actually it's a
task that should be done for my internship.
This is exactly what he said: clicking on one box to generate new boxes and
then we should enter data into them.
He just ask us to learn Python, and Django besides HTML and CSS to complete
the work!
Sandro Dutra
2012-03-14 12:07:25 UTC
A little hardcoding, but I think this is a solution to your problem, if you
want can deploy with Django...

<!doctype HTML>
<head>
<title>Box Test</title>
<script type="text/javascript" src="
http://ajax.googleapis.com/ajax/libs/jquery/1.4/jquery.min.js"></script>
<script type="text/javascript">
$(document).ready(function(){
$('input[type="button"]').click(function(){
$("form").before('<input type="text" name="box" /><br />');
});
})
</script>
</head>
<form>
<input type="text" name="box" />
<input type="button" value="DO" />
</form>
Post by Sophia
then we should enter data into them.
He just ask us to learn Python, and Django besides HTML and CSS to
complete
Post by Sophia
the work!
"and then we should enter data into them"
is the key phrase...
You are basically describing a form containing something like a
"submit" /button/ (not box) where clicking on the button causes the
server to present another page which is a form with text entry fields
(and probably another "submit" button to send the filled in form back to
the server so the data can be saved somewhere)
{Note: the first "submit" button doesn't even need to be a button -- a
simple graphic image tied to an <a href=...> link would be sufficient
for something that doesn't need to send any particular data}
--
Wulfraed Dennis Lee Bieber AF6VN